Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sys.InvalidOperationException: Could not find UpdatePanel with ID 'ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_updatePanel1'. If it is being updated dynamically then it

This is one error that has no concrete solution. I just happened to come across it and decided to blog it after having fixed it.

Sys.InvalidOperationException: Could not find UpdatePanel with ID 'ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_updatePanel1'. If it is being updated dynamically then it must be inside another updatepanel'

The error usually occurs when we add some user controls(child controls) inside another user control(parent control) or in a similar situation using Web Parts. Modifying a property of an Update Panel in the child control usually throws an error. However, this is only if the Update Panel in the child control is not inside the property of the UpdatePanel in the parent control.

In lay man terms we are supposed to treat the Update Panel of the parent control as a PlaceHolderControl for the Child Controls which are inside unique Update Panels already.

Hope that helps.
Please feel free to comment and seek clarifications if required.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

buf... i have this problem, but cant find any solution

Niranjan said...

Hello I have same problem .. i am getting same error can u explain me how to resolve the error..

Thanks

Niranjan

Pramit said...

here is only problem description but where the answer. i need slution of it..

Unknown said...

I ran across this issue before, I solved it , by changing the update mode on the panel from conditional to always.

P.S. I had this particula problem doing response.redirect.

Hope it helps, this one is for the people.-

Santosh said...

i also have the same problem. In my senario main page have wep part and that contains the one usercontrol that has some panel. some of the panel si set with update mode always and some of the panel is with updatemode =conditional.
Can any body explain how to resolve.

Thanks
santosh

Anonymous said...

Ok,

So I had the same problem and figured it out for anyone who is interested.

I noticed that I just couldnt get the update panel to work on a certain page but it was working on other similar pages. I tracked it down to

Header.Controls.Add(new HtmlMeta { Name = "description", Content = description });

I also found an article which said something about Header.Controls.Add not been compatible with AJAX.

I had this same line of code on other pages and it was working fine. I them notices that this line of code was getting called

if (!IsPostBack)
{
Header.Controls.Add.......
}

and other pages it was outside of the !IsPostback. I moved this and all was fixed.

Hopefully this is something similar to what your experiencing.

WJS said...

I was getting this message when the UpdatePanel was inside one of the views of a MultiView. It went away when I moved the MultiView inside the UpdatePanel, instead of the other way around.

Unknown said...

I Solve This Problem By Closing an un closed HTML < DIV > inside the ASPX page!!!